Australian Indigenous Law Review
The Australian Indigenous Law Review ('AILR') is unique in Australian legal publishing. It brings current issues in Australian law and policy together with developments affecting Indigenous peoples around the world. The AILR has been published since 1996, with Volumes 1 through to 10 published as the Australian Indigenous Law Reporter. A full-text archive of these volumes, along with more recent editions, are available here.
Search past issues:
The above search takes you to the AustLII database, or alternatively you can browse AILR content on Informit and HeinOnline.
Note: Informit and HeinOnline have current issues available immediately whilst AustLII currently has a 12 month or longer time lag.
Call for Papers - General Issues
The AILR is currently welcoming submissions to be considered for inclusion in both general and thematic issues. Submissions for the general issue can be on any legal topic of special relevance to Indigenous peoples, in Australia and around the world.
Call for Papers - Thematic Issue 18(1)
The thematic issue is on ‘Indigenous Land Tenure Reform’ and aims to cast a fresh look at recent attempts at and calls for land tenure reform on Indigenous land. If you would like to submit an article (between 6,000-14,000 words, including footnotes) for either the general or the thematic issue, please email an abstract or brief summary of your topic to the Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org. More information about issue 18(1) is available here.
To read about how you can contribute to this publication please refer to our contribution page.
Student editors are given the opportunity through a law internship with the Indigenous Law Centre to participate directly in the production process for the AILR. As a Law elective, these positions are credited (6 UOC). To learn more please refer to the internship overview.
The Editorial Panel provides advice and assistance to the AILR editors as and when required. The current members of the editorial board are:
• Thalia Anthony BA LLB PhD (Sydney)
• Toni Bauman BA (Macquarie)
• Sean Brennan BA LLB LLM (ANU)
• Ngiare Brown BMed (Newcastle) MPHTM (James Cook) FRACGP (Aust Coll GP)
• Claire Charters BA LLB (Hons) (Otago) LLM (NYU)
• Donna Craig BA LLM (Osgoode Hall)
• Kyllie Cripps BA (Hons) (South Aust) PhD (Monash)
• Chris Cunneen BA DipEd (UNSW) PhD (Sydney)
• Dalee Sambo Dorough MALD (Tufts) PhD (British Columbia)
• Brendan Edgeworth LLB (Hons) MA (Sheffield)
• Tim Goodwin BA LLB (Hons) (ANU)
• Brenda Gunn BA (Manitoba) JD (Toronto) LLM (Arizona)
• Jackie Hartley BA (Hons) LLB (UNSW) LLM (Arizona)
• Samantha Joseph BA LLB (UNSW)
• Peter Jull BA (Toronto)
• Patricia Lane BA LLM (Sydney)
• Terri Libesman BA LLB (Macquarie)
• Erin Mackay BA LLB (UNSW)
• Hannah McGlade LLB LLM (Murdoch)
• Garth Nettheim LLB (Sydney) AM (Tufts)
• Keryn Ruska LLB (Melbourne) GDLP (ANU)
• Sonia Smallacombe BA DipEd (Monash) BA (Hons) MA (Melbourne)
• Prue Vines BA MA (Sydney) DipEd (Syd Teach Coll) LLB (UNSW)